Thursday, January 28, 2010

Life in the fast lane

I truly wonder what's on the mind of some drivers today when they get behind the wheel. Having been a commercial driver for the last 30 some years I get a daily dose of "ZOOM, ZOOM!" Whether I'm driving the roll off truck or the school bus I can't believe how people cut in front, pass on double yellow lines or run stop signs just to get in front of me. It's almost like something as big as what I drive is invisible. If the truth be told I'd rather have the larger vehicle in front of me rather than behind. Ask Harry Chapin about being in front of a big rig!

Driving as long and as many miles as I have I started a very informal unscientific study of drivers and their habits.

Our law enforcement and legislative initiatives have focused on cell phone and texting as dangerous habits and have implemented laws accordingly. But did you ever see a cop zipping right past as he's talking on a cell phone?

High school kids are another big problem. First, they sit so low in their seats they have to look through the steering wheel to see the road. Next they've got a sound system and muffler combination that far exceed the value of their car, and exceeding noise pollution standards. And to top it off the music, (relative term and definition) blaring away with a rhythmic beat that could be used in an emergency as a defibrillator for a heart attack victim.

Old people are great! Driving at twenty miles an hour, regardless of the posted speed limit, they'll stop dead in the road for no reason. They'll run for miles with a signal light blinking and then turn the opposite direction. Blow your horn at them and they wave, usually one finger at a time.

The morning commuter. Now here's how to multitask! They drive like NASCAR and read the paper, drink their coffee, eat a bowl of cereal, and fix their tie all while taking on a cell phone as they changes lanes at breakneck speed.

And now is my favorite, the fat driver! No matter what they drive they all seem to have the same fear of trying to pass through a tight situation. (This is actually where my observations started.) While driving through city traffic I noticed cars that would stop in a close quarter situation and wait for a break. If none were forthcoming the car would literally inch along until the obstruction was passed. Plenty of room on each side to spare. I literally have driven a Mack Truck through those situations. Skinny people just drive right through.

The lead foot is amazing. Passing and cutting off people as they tear up the road in their quest to be first at the red light! It doesn't get any better.

Keep going Detroit, "life in the fast lane!"

No comments: